Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Elephant riding at Bannerghatta National Park

As a lot of trainees went on leave during Diwali, Simon, Valery, Daniel and me decided to move at least a little bit as well. We didn’t have many opportunities as our trip would be limited within the boundaries of Bangalore. Therefore I proposed to go to Bannerghatta National Park, a zoo which is located about 20 km south of Bangalore and where also safaris are offered. No sooner said than done. On Sunday morning we took a rickshaw for Majestic bus station. When I asked the rickshaw driver for the number of the bus to Bannerghatta National Park, he meant that it would be better to go to Botanical Garden as there are leaving more buses for Bannerghatta National Park than at Majestic. He even guided us to the bus. He was definitely the most friendly rickshaw driver I have ever met. After about 45 minutes we reached Bannerghatta National Park. We decided to take part of the grand safari, including lions, tigers, bears and dears. As the safari was 110 Rupees, I didn’t expect so many Indians to join us. But that was falsity. We had to stand in line and were waiting for more than 30 minutes. As our bus arrived finally, fortunately we could take a seat in the front what enabled us to see the wildlife from close distance. The bus made to me the impression to be used for prisoner transportation, as there were grids all around. What would we have to expect, I asked myself; tigers attacking the bus? The first animal we saw then was a dear lying in the shadow under a tree. As it saw the bus stopping for taking pictures, it even stood up and approached the bus –great! Then we went on and saw bears, lions and tigers. The most impressive adventure we experienced when a group of huge tigers were lying just next to the road. I can’t remember that I have never so close to a tiger – it was awesome! Although the tiger seamed to be very calm the driver meant that the tigers would attack me if I got out the bus – quite intimidating, I would say. During the safari we even saw white tigers. The driver reported that they are about to die out. What a pity coz they are such beautiful animals. The safari took at about half an hour. And as we saw a huge elephant in front of the park carrying some people on his back we also decided to go for a little elephant ride. In order to climb on the elephants back we had to use stairs. It was only around the area, let’s say at about 300m but nevertheless it was a great ride. We sat in a height of about 4 meter and when the elephant moved on, it was rather wobbly; we were swung from the left to the right and back again. The guardian steered the elephant by pushing his feet behind he elephant's ears. Well, and in addition to that he shouted some words to it. After this amazing trip we entered the park again and beheld the other animals like hippopotamuses, peacocks, crocodiles, apes, pelicans, leopards, zebras and even a cobra. As we were tiring out after a while and I have searched the lions in vain, we decided to take the next bus back to Bangalore at about 4pm. Although Diana meant it were not worth paying a visit to Bannerghatta National Park, as you would not see any tiger, we went there and it was definitely worthwhile! As for me, I have never been so close to a tiger and I enjoyed it ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home