Sunday, November 12, 2006

Things disappear at Robertson House

All of a sudden, some guys at Robertson house were missing some stuff. Among other things food including rice, bread, chocolate, instant coffee powder and so on. As for me, I was missing two also some provisions. But what was even worse, I was missing my two vouchers the company gifted me due to my good work I provided ;-) and my mp3-player was disappeared as well. Both things were stolen out of my chest of drawers. And 5.000 Rupees had been stolen from Hans out of his unlocked wardrobe. But the worst, Deniz one morning couldn’t find his mobile phone anymore. It was pretty obvious, that our house guard who is supposed to keep an eye on us so that we don’t have parties in our house in the last evening, stole at least some of the things. We also suspected the cleaning ladies having stolen at least some provisions. Who else should steel rice and instant coffee? As if it was one of us, he would have to prepare the coffee and the meals at Robertson house so that he would have been revealed as the thief. No, it is proven, at least to us, that the cleaning ladies and Murthy stole the things. We have seen Murthy rummaging the shelves and seen the ladies wearing our slippers. As I asked the ladies whether the stole the things, they claimed not to understand English – ridiculous. Hence, we complained at Sharan, the house-keeper about the happened incidents. He was supposed to come in between 1pm and 2am but was more than 2 hours delayed. Murthy, who actually, shouldn’t have been at Robertson house at that time wanted to attend to the appointment with Sharan as well. He assumed that we suspected him and therefore he fought for his job which he was obviously about to loose. As he didn’t want to go, even though we requested him to go, Simon became very angry and threw him out of the house applying violence. But still, Murthy retorted and insisted to attend to the appointment. I was very surprised about Simon’s behaviour as I detest every kind of violence. Later on, Simon explained why he had to do that. In India, strong hierarchies exist. And Murthy as a simple house guard with no education is definitely in the lowest hierarchy. He has to follow the rules anyone else orders him to do. If someone of a minor hierarchy doesn’t follow, there is no other way as to apply violence. It would be seen as a kind of weakness if someone of a superior hierarchy didn’t apply violence in such cases. Well, finally we got rid of him coz as Sharan came he also requested him to go. Sharan then was very cooperative and promised us to change the cleaning ladies, to provide a lock to each wardrobe and to let Murthy move out. As for me, I was much more comfortable afterwards. But, unfortunately I haven’t seen my voucher again as well as my mp3-player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home